How We Work Together – Tax Preparation
- Gather your tax documents; anything that says “Important Tax Information Enclosed” on the envelope. We would be happy to provide a Tax Organizer that lists income items and deductions that applied to you the previous year, upon request.
- NOTE: If you are only missing a brokerage statement, K-1, or one piece of information, please go ahead and get everything else to us. Don’t wait for just one piece of late information.
- Submit your documents to us in one of the following ways:
- Upload to the portal. If you don’t have a login, we can easily set one up. You can log in directly on abellatax.com
- Drop off at the office. Our office hours are 11:00 – 7:00 Monday through Friday, and 10:00 – 3:00 Saturday starting January 17. Earlier in January, give us a call to confirm hours before driving over.
- Postal mail. Our address is 19105-36th Ave W Ste 212, Lynnwood, WA 98036.
Please do not email tax documents. Email is not a safe way to transmit sensitive information. Based on IRS recommendations, we are implementing a no-click email policy, prohibiting staff from opening attachments to protect your information and ours.
- We will contact you to schedule an appointment and to request any missing information we are aware of. Providing missing information before your appointment streamlines the rest of the process.
- Meet with your tax advisor, in person or by phone. This meeting is scheduled for 30 minutes. We will ask additional questions to ensure your return is correct and complete. We will go over your return with you to make sure you understand your tax situation. We will ask about 2017 and run a preliminary projection of the new year for you.
- Sign your return. You’ll have two options for signing your return:
- E-Signature – you’ll receive a link, answer questions to verify your identity (required by the IRS) and electronically sign.
- Paper signature – you’ll receive either a hard copy or electronic version of Form 8879 to sign and return. We can accept these signed documents by portal, postal mail, or drop off.
- We will e-file your return with the IRS when we have received your signature and payment for our services. The IRS typically acknowledges the filing within 24 hours. Refunds are generally issued within 21 days. Refunds with refundable credits will be released no earlier than mid-February.
- If you owe, you may pay with a paper check, or electronically online at irs.gov/payments.
Please note: We do not automatically file extensions if we haven’t heard from you. Please let us know if you need an extension. An extension is an extension of time to file, NOT an extension of time to PAY.
February 24 – last day to get business information to us for a March 15 filing (partnerships and S corporations)
March 28 – last day to get individual tax information to us for an April 18 filing
Information received after these cut-off dates will be incorporated as soon as possible, but may require an extension. If we are working on your file close to the deadline, we will file the extension for you automatically.
August 15 – last date to submit information to us for the September 15 Partnership/Corporate extended deadline.
September 15 – last date to submit information to us for the October 15 Personal extended deadline.
Information received after these cut-off dates will be worked on as soon as possible, but we will no longer go to extreme measures to prepare these returns on time.
Be aware that corporate (and partnership) returns carry at least a $195/month/shareholder penalty for late filings, even though no tax is due.
Personal returns carry a late filing penalty of 5% of the tax due per month late up to 25% in addition to late payment penalties and interest. There are not penalties for filing for a refund late.