Frequently Asked Questions (tax-related)

What should I do now that I’ve filed an extension?

Your tax return needs to be started right away. Getting started will help you determine what is missing. The sooner you find out what’s missing, the more time you will have to acquire the information. If you filed an extension because you expect to owe the IRS, be aware that it extends your time to file, but it does not extend your time to pay. Penalties and interest are accruing right now. Contact your tax professional today to find out about payment options.

Your extended return is due October 15th.

Where is my refund?
If you have not received your tax refund within 6-8 weeks, you should contact the IRS at (800) 829-1040. The IRS also has a secure online tool for checking refund status.

What if I haven’t filed yet?
It isn’t too late. If the IRS owes you a refund, there is no penalty for filing late. However, you will only receive your refund if you file within three years. If you owe the IRS, penalties are accruing for failure to file as well as failure to pay, so get those returns filed as soon as possible, even if you need to set up a payment plan.

Why didn’t I receive my whole refund?
You may owe back child support, delinquent student loans, or other government debt. Contact FMS (a department of the US Treasury) at 1-800-304-3107.