What is an Enrolled Agent?

An enrolled agent is someone who has earned the privilege of practicing, that is, representing taxpayers, before the Internal Revenue Service. Enrolled agents, like attorneys and certified public accountants (CPAs), are unrestricted as to which taxpayers they can represent, what types of tax matters they can handle, and which IRS offices they can practice before.

Enrolled Agents are required to keep up with current tax law. They must complete at least 16 hours of continuing education every year, and at least 72 hours every three years.

One thing sets Enrolled Agents apart: they are tax specialists. CPAs and Attorneys know many different areas of their broad fields and may or may not specialize in taxation.

Posted in FAQ

Frequently Asked Questions (tax-related)

What should I do now that I’ve filed an extension?

Your tax return needs to be started right away. Getting started will help you determine what is missing. The sooner you find out what’s missing, the more time you will have to acquire the information. If you filed an extension because you expect to owe the IRS, be aware that it extends your time to file, but it does not extend your time to pay. Penalties and interest are accruing right now. Contact your tax professional today to find out about payment options.

Your extended return is due October 15th.

Where is my refund?
If you have not received your tax refund within 6-8 weeks, you should contact the IRS at (800) 829-1040. The IRS also has a secure online tool for checking refund status.

What if I haven’t filed yet?
It isn’t too late. If the IRS owes you a refund, there is no penalty for filing late. However, you will only receive your refund if you file within three years. If you owe the IRS, penalties are accruing for failure to file as well as failure to pay, so get those returns filed as soon as possible, even if you need to set up a payment plan.

Why didn’t I receive my whole refund?
You may owe back child support, delinquent student loans, or other government debt. Contact FMS (a department of the US Treasury) at 1-800-304-3107.

Posted in FAQ