How We Work Together – Tax Preparation
- Gather your tax documents; anything that says “Important Tax Information Enclosed” on the envelope. Upon request, we would be happy to provide a Tax Organizer Checklist that lists income items and deductions that applied to you the previous year.
- NOTE: If you are only missing a brokerage statement, K-1, or one piece of information, please go ahead and get everything else to us. Don’t wait for just one piece of late information.
- Submit your documents to us in one of the following ways:
- Request a secure checklist by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll email it to you. Clicking the checklist in the email takes you to a secure page where you can safely and easily upload documents (in PDF format, please).
- Drop off at the office. Our office hours are 10:00 – 6:00 Monday through Friday, and 10:00 – 3:00 Saturday starting January 21. We are closed January 20 for training. Earlier in January, give us a call to confirm hours before driving over.
- Postal mail. Our address is 19105-36th Ave W Ste 212, Lynnwood, WA 98036.
Please do not email tax documents. Email is not a safe way to transmit sensitive information. Based on IRS recommendations, we have implemented a no-click email policy, prohibiting staff from opening attachments to protect your information and ours.
- Schedule your Wrap Appointment from abellatax.com for 3 weeks from the date we received your documents. We will contact you to request any missing information we are aware of. Providing missing information before your appointment streamlines the rest of the process.
- Meet with your tax advisor, in person or by phone. This meeting is scheduled for 30 minutes. We will ask additional questions to ensure your return is correct and complete. We will go over your return with you to make sure you understand your tax situation. We will ask about 2019 and run a preliminary projection of the new year for you.
- Sign your return. You’ll have two options for signing your return:
- E-Signature – you’ll receive a link, answer questions to verify your identity (required by the IRS) and electronically sign.
- Paper signature – you’ll receive either a hard copy or electronic version of Form 8879 to sign and return. We can accept these signed documents by secure upload, postal mail, or drop off.
- We will e-file your return with the IRS when we have received your signature and payment for our services. The IRS typically acknowledges the filing within 24 hours. Refunds are generally issued within 21 days. Refunds with refundable credits will be released no earlier than mid-February.
- If you owe, you may pay with a paper check, or electronically online at irs.gov/payments.
Please note: We do not automatically file extensions if we haven’t heard from you. Please let us know if you need an extension. An extension is an extension of time to file, NOT an extension of time to PAY.
February 21 – last day to get business information to us for a March 15 filing (partnerships and S corporations)
March 20 – last day to get individual tax information to us for an April 15 filing
Information received after these cut-off dates will be incorporated as soon as possible, but may require an extension. If we are working on your file close to the deadline, we will file the extension for you automatically.
August 1 – last date to submit information to us for the September 16 Partnership/Corporation extended deadline.
September 1 – last date to submit information to us for the October 15 Personal extended deadline.
Information received after these cut-off dates will be worked on as soon as possible, but we will not go to extreme measures to prepare these returns on time.
Be aware that corporate (and partnership) returns carry at least a $200 per month, per shareholder penalty for late filings, even though no tax is due.
Personal returns carry a late filing penalty of 5% of the tax due per month late up to 25% in addition to late payment penalties and interest. There are not penalties for filing for a refund late.